Lars Bjørndal via Mailman-users writes:
I recently stopped getting my own messages when posting to one of the lists.
The most common reason for this is sending from Gmail, which considers the list copy to be a duplicate and it is suppressed. In Gmail this behavior cannot be changed. I don't know if any other MUAs or email providers do this.
I get my own mail when posting to other lists.
That probably rules out the "overeager duplicate suppression" hypothesis.
Receive own postings is set to Yes. I'm a non-member on the list I'm posting to, but that list has another list as a member, and I'm a member of that list,
The nonmember of the posting list and the member of the second list have the same address, correct?
You are allowed to post to the downstream list directly, correct? Are your posts reaching the downstream list archives, or other members of that list? I don't think that cascading lists automatically allow the upstream list to send to the downstream list, unless the upstream list members are specified as permitted. (I may be remembering a feature from Mailman 2 that didn't get ported the same way, though.)
with Receive my own post set to yes. I've not configured these lists for a long time, and it has worked until recently. Any idea on where to search for the cause?
On each list, there are four places where Receive Own Post can be set IIRC.
- On the subscription (highest priority)
- On the address
- On your user
- On the list itself as a default (lowest priority)
The first one to have a non-"inherit" value wins. Since there are two lists there are two subscriptions, and two list defaults to check, as well as the address and the user (common over the two lists). Since you're only seeing this on this one cascade of lists, I'd check those subscriptions first (I guess non-members have no subscription options, so it would be the downstream list subscription if any).
I've changed dmarc policy on the domain from none to quarantine. Should that matter?
It certainly could, if the first list's processing invalidates a signature for a user at the list domain. It would then sign again, for the same domain, so that there would be a valid and an invalid signature for the domain. According to the DKIM standard, this should be considered a pass, but many implementations are buggy. You could set "strip existing DKIM signatures" to yes for the first list to see if that helps.
You should also see those posts in your spam folder.
-- GNU Mailman consultant (installation, migration, customization) Sirius Open Source https://www.siriusopensource.com/ Software systems consulting in Europe, North America, and Japan