On 2026-10-07 07:17:18 +1300 (+1300), Thing via Mailman-users wrote:
Is maxking/docker-mailman still the recommended container deployment for a new Mailman 3 installation in 2026?
Communities I'm helping run mailing lists for are using those in production, though we build our own images from the source in that Git repository we don't pull already built versions from a public container registry or anything.
I am building a PoC on RHEL 10 using rootless Podman, with MariaDB running externally on the host (for now to ease backup issues).
We also run them under Podman, but not rootless, and on Ubuntu LTS instead of RHEL and we use containerized MariaDB (we podman exec a dump and stream that to our backup client).
The repository appears somewhat inactive and its example compose file uses maxking/mailman-core:0.4 and maxking/mailman-web:0.4.
Note those are the versions of the containers, not the versions of the software they contain. See the core/requirements.txt and web/requirements.txt files for the actual Mailman component versions that go into them. Mailman doesn't make releases very often, and double-checking those lists the versions in there match the latest packaged versions of everything on PyPI.
Are these images still maintained and suitable for a new deployment, or is another container image or installation method now recommended?
I don't know for sure they're still maintained but also see no clear indication that they aren't. I'm not aware of any other popular alternatives and haven't seen a newer recommendation for containerized Mailman, but perhaps others here have.
Jeremy Stanley