Exactly as Steve said. I did report it to the Postfix lists and then had my running in circles for completely unrelated issues. They were convinced that specifying Mailman3 as an LMTP instead of an SMTP server was incorrect, because if it was LMTP I should be pointing at a socket instead of localhost. At the end of the day I figured it out by reading problems other people were having in their configurations that sounded like the same thing, and someone made a side comment about virtual_alias_maps. I double-checked, saw my configuration error, and fixed it. I think I made this mistake because I had started with a hash-based configuration and then realized I needed to use regexp. The hash-based configuration has a side case that requires postfix_vmap to be defined. When changing to regexp I simply changed the labels to regexp, saw my error log spitting out that there was no postfix_vmap file, looked at the regexp configuration saw that there was no vmap for it and instead of deleting the vmap changed it over to lmtp. My own fault all the way around, but worth noting at this point since others might be tired or in a hurry and make the same mistake. A mistake that doesn't really report an error in a way that makes it stand out.
On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 12:29 AM Stephen J. Turnbull firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Jay Gairson writes:
Steve: Fair enough. The issue ultimately was with Postfix, but I only encountered it because I misread the Mailman3 configuration wiki as setting "virtual_alias_maps = hash:/path-to-mailman/var/data/postfix_vmap" to be /path-to-mailman/var/data/postfix_lmtp.
Thanks for the followup!
For future reference for those who are following along, while that's technically a Postfix configuration issue, it's the kind of thing that people like Mark and Abhilash are at least as likely to notice as most of the folks on Postfix lists. Bottom line: don't hesitate to report these issues to us, but if it could be the MTA, report to their users' list too. More eyes, etc.